Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Creative for kids: Justine Clark

I used to cringe watching the Wiggles with my niece and nephew and was dreading having to listen to children's music with my daughter. I'm not sure why we treat our children as stupid little people and feed them a diet of ugly toys and silly music. Lots of people will disagree with me. I mean The Wiggles are fun and a total phenomenon and some of their songs are OK, but then I found Justine Clarke.

What a relief to find intelligent, funny and well written songs for kids. Justine Clarke's songs are simply not predictable. You wait for the corny rhyme that you think is coming and she suprises with something original. This is really thanks to Peter Dascent who pens the songs. There is a story-like quality to the songs which I love (for e.g. 'Mrs Knife and Mr Fork'). It's not easy to be original; Peter nails it.

In fact, I'd probably listen to the CD 'Songs to make you smile' while driving even if my daughter Layla wasn't in the car. 'Doin' it', the first track is the best of the bunch on that CD.

Justine's got a couple of Melbourne gigs in March. Check her website for the dates. I won't be there as Layla is still too small but either gig would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment