Monday, March 8, 2010

Sand art

OK, I know what follows is not about anyone in Melbourne. But I just had to share it with you whilst I remember. There'll be more on Melbourne to come.

I can't think of a better way to start this blog than by recommending you watch a video of 24 year old Ukrainian artist Kseniya Simonova creating sand art. Check out the YouTube video . It shows Simonova creating a beautiful and moving artwork.

The work is about The Great Patriotic War, as it is called in Ukraine, which resulted in one in four of the population being killed with eight to 11 million deaths out of a population of 42 million.

It's so rare to see an artwork that is emotional and intelligent and in a medium which is really different. To be honest when I saw the words 'sand art' my expectations were pretty low, but I was mesmerised throughout the whole video.

Can you even begin to imagine how Ukrainians would feel watching this?

No comments:

Post a Comment